Exchange Program(English)

This is a Vlog about the life of an exchange student studying at Mukogawa Women’s University.


Based on student exchange agreements, Mukogawa Women’s University (MWU) accepts international exchange students from partner institutions every April and September.
Exchange students are able to take three types of courses: Japanese Language courses, General Education courses, and Undergraduate courses.
Exchange students who take Undergraduate courses are required to have sufficient Japanese ability as determined by a placement test administered after arrival, or by the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) certification submitted with the application form.

1)Program Features

Exchange students can enroll in the following courses:

  1. Japanese Language courses
    These courses are for exchange students to improve their Japanese Language skills. Classes from beginner to advanced levels are available. Students will be placed into the appropriate level after taking a language placement test administered by a Japanese teaching specialist.
  2. General Education courses
    These courses provide students a wide range of knowledge and skills including, basic knowledge about historical ideologies, critical thinking skills in modern society, specific techniques, and independence. Various types of courses such as foreign language studies, Japanese cultures and society, career designing, sports, and law are open to all students regardless of major. Some courses are taught in English.
  3. Undergraduate courses
    If students demonstrate sufficient Japanese language proficiency either by placement test score or JLPT certification, they will be allowed to take departmental courses. The courses include high level academic subjects related to majors that enable students to learn field-specific knowledge as well as improve Japanese language ability.
2)Language Partner

Exchange students will have language buddies called “Language Partners” who will support their living in Japan. Each exchange student will meet two language partners soon after arrival and can ask them anything about living in Japan. Exchange students can also practice Japanese communication with them.


Course grades will be evaluated using the following scale:

Points Grade
100~90 S
89~80 A
79~70 B
69~60 C
~59 F

MWU will issue academic transcripts for exchange students after completion of the program. Earned credits will be transferred to home universities in accordance with the policy of each university. Students are expected to ask about credit transfer at their own universities prior to departing for Japan. In accordance with the policy of the Japanese Ministry of Education, MWU defines one credit as equivalent to 15 hours of lecture class time.

Academic Calendar


Student Dormitory

Exchange students are required to stay in Teiwa-ryo, one of MWU’s dormitories. Students will have the opportunity to experience short-term homestays during the summer and spring vacation periods if they wish to do so. Dormitory fees will be subtracted from scholarship funding.

Teiwa-ryo View the details

Student Life

1)Living Expenses

The estimated cost for living in the Kansai region is 80,000JPY 〜 100,000JPY per month including dormitory fees. Exchange students should establish a sufficient funding plan before coming to Japan.


MWU provides all exchange students one of the three scholarships listed below. Students who will be awarded either the HUMAP or JASSO scholarships will be notified prior arrival through their home universities.

Scholarship Type Provider Fee Note
MWU Scholarship MWU 65,000JPY/Month  
HUMAP Scholarship HUMAP 80,000JPY/Month Students who receive either scholarship will be notified beforehand.
JASSO scholarship JASSO 80,000JPY/Month

National Health Insurance (fees for students)
National Health Insurance covers a portion of medical expenses for exchange students in cases of disease or injury in Japan. Seventy percent of medical expenses are covered by National Health Insurance. All exchange students are obligated to enroll in this insurance; however there are occasional exceptions depending on individual circumstances.

4)International Exchange

MWU hosts various events and activities to allow exchange students and Japanese students to interact with each other. This includes cultural experiences, Japanese language support, parties and field trips.

Application Procedures

1)Entry Requirements

Applicants must be female students who are enrolled at one of MWU’s partner universities.
*Each university may have its own requirements for the exchange program. Please confirm the requirements with your own university before applying.

2)How to Apply

MWU notifies its partner universities of the application procedures according to the following schedule:

Program Start Date Notification Date
Spring Semester (April) Beginning of September
Fall Semester (September) Beginning of March


About Application Procedures
Q.I am enrolled at a university which is not one of MWU’s partner universities. Can I apply for MWU’s exchange program?

A.Unfortunately, MWU does not accept any students who are from non-partner universities. Applicants must be enrolled at one of MWU’s partner universities. The list of MWU partner universities
partner universities

Q.Is it possible to apply for MWU’s exchange program without Japanese language ability?

A.Applicants need to have an elementary level of Japanese language ability or an educational background as a Japanese language learner.

Q.When and how will I receive the letter of acceptance?

A.MWU informs partner universities of acceptance decisions after the examination of application forms. The acceptance letter will be dispatched according to the following schedule:
Spring Semester: January
Fall Semester: June

Q.I currently do not have a passport. Can I submit an application?

A.You can apply without having a passport, but you are required to have a passport issued as soon as possible in order to receive a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE).

Q.Are there any GPA requirements?

A.MWU does not have any GPA requirements for exchange programs. Applicants are examined based on references and application materials.

Q.Do I need to submit original copies of the application form if electronic copies have already been submitted by email?

A.In this case, you do not need to submit the original copies.

About the Academic Calendar
Q.When will the program start?

A.Spring Semester: First week of April
Fall Semester: Second week of September
*All exchange students must attend a mandatory orientation before classes start. Students will be informed of the date directly.

Q.Is it possible to travel somewhere or return to my country during long vacations?

A.You are free to travel if you complete all of your examinations. However, please note that you need to come back in time to attend the mandatory orientation before the beginning of each semester.

About the Dormitory
Q.Can I stay at an apartment near the campus during the program?

A.All exchange students are required to stay in the MWU dormitory, Teiwa-ryo. However, you can stay temporarily in an apartment recommended by MWU during short vacations when Teiwa-ryo is closed if you wish to do so.

Q.When should I arrive at and leave from, the dormitory?

A.You are expected to arrive at the dormitory any time after the designated date. You must leave the dormitory by the date on which you are asked to leave. You will be informed of these dates directly.

Q.Can I have a homestay experience?

A.You cannot participate in a long-term homestay. However, we will offer you a one-week homestay if you apply beforehand. Please ask for details after the program starts.

Q.Is it okay to ship my belongings before arriving at the dormitory?

A.Yes. Please ship your belongings to the dormitory address.

About Arrival
Q.How can I travel to the dormitory from the airport?

A.MWU staff will pick you up at the airport if you arrive on the designated date.

Q.When should I reserve the flight?

A.Please reserve your flight after you obtain a valid visa. MWU is not responsible for any cancelations due to the failure or delay of the issuing of visas.

Q.I want to bring medicine for my chronic disease. Are there any regulations over bringing medicine into Japan?

A.Please look for details about restricted items on the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare’s website.

About Campus Life
Q.Are there any cafeterias on campus?

A.MWU has various types of food services including cafeterias, cafés, and a convenience store.

Q.Can I interact with Japanese students?

A.You will have many opportunities to interact not only with Japanese students but also with other exchange students from all over the world. The dormitory you will stay in offers you various opportunities to have fun with Japanese residents. The International Center also hosts many events where you can meet students who are interested in intercultural exchange.

Q.Can I temporarily return to my country during the program?

A.If you want to go abroad during your stay, you must ask for permission to reenter Japan at the Immigration Office. However, those who are staying in Japan long-term and have a valid passport or residence card do not need permission if they declare their return when leaving and return to Japan within 1 year.

About Courses, Credits, and Evaluations
Q.Are there any restrictions for exchange students to register for courses?

A.Each department limits the number of courses students can take. We will tell you the details about this at the first orientation.

Q.Please tell me about the credits I can earn at MWU.

A.MWU will issue an academic transcript but will not grant you any credits. Your credits will be granted by your home university based on the academic transcript in accordance with the university’s policy. MWU does not hold the credit policies of partner universities, so please ask your home university for details.

Q.When will I receive my academic transcript?

A.You can check your grades on our student portal site (info-MUSES) as scheduled below:
Spring Semester: Beginning of September
(The original copy will be dispatched to your home university at the end of September)
Fall Semester: Beginning of March
(The original copy will be dispatched to your home university at the end of March)

About Visa
Q.How can I get a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE)?

A.MWU will apply for a CoE at the Immigration Service of Japan on your behalf based on your submitted documents. If further information is required for the application, you will be contacted through your home university. MWU will dispatch the CoE to your home university as soon as it is issued.

Q.When will I receive my CoE?

A.It is as scheduled as follows:
Spring Semester (April Start): Middle of February
Fall Semester (September Start): Beginning of August

Q.When should I apply for a visa?

A.Please apply for a visa soon after you receive your CoE.

Q.Where will the Residence Card be issued?

A.Kansai Airport will issue the card to you after you are permitted to enter Japan.

  1. 受入交換留学生

    受入留学生の1日(2)~A day in the life of…
  2. アメリカ

  3. 留学体験記

  4. 受入交換留学生

    受入留学生の1日(3)~A day in the life of…
  5. 留学体験記